1 July 2019 is the first official day of WestCycle Recreation (formerly Bicycling Western Australia) and WestCycle MTB (formerly WA Mountain Bike Association).
Both of these organisations were operating as individual organisations under WestCycle and in recent months their respective boards voted on the future directions of the entities and it was decided that both BWA and WAMBA would wind up as stand-alone organisations to WestCycle. There has been confusion on the difference between the various cycling bodies and this move simplifies the model.
What does this mean for the community? For starters you will start to see more presence of WestCycle, through its business units, namely:
- WestCycle Road and Track (formerly CycleSport WA)
- WestCycle Mountain Biking (formerly WAMBA)
- WestCycle Recreation and Transport (formerly BWA)
A range of Advisory Groups, which will inform WestCycle on the key strategic and operational priorities for Clubs and Members have been established. They will operate in a similar way to how the previous BWA, WAMBA and CycleSport WA Boards has operated, however will give far greater scope for specific focuses.
- Road Cycling – Sport
- Road Cycling – Recreation
- Track Cycling
- Safety, Transport and Advocacy
- Mountain Biking
- Trail Development
These changes have been made to provide a better experience and level of service to the bike riding community. We need our limited resources to be focused in the right areas, we need better avenues to hear your feedback and we need to do more for cycling in WA. The best outcome for cycling in the State is to have one organisation and one license across all aspects of cycling in WA, underpinned by strong governance, strategic direction and leadership. These changes are a significant step in this direction.
WestCycle have also launched a number of membership options which enable riders and the WA riding community to be involved and support their area of choice. These memberships include:
- Ride Membership – perfect for Cafe Racers, Fondo Chasers, Gravel Grinders, MTB thrill seekers and those who ride for fun and fitness
- Commute Membership – designed for people riding from A to B, with the cover that you need
- Supporter Membership – See a real difference to people who ride bicycles in WA by choosing the area you support
This is an exciting time for people who ride bicycles in Western Australia and myself and the WestCycle team look forward to the challenges ahead and delivering better outcomes for all riders in the State.